Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Tempe heat out and help your air conditioner last throughout the rest of the summer.
Here are some tips from Orangutan Home Services to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Look at your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is running correctly and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Orangutan Home Services in Tempe or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating correctly.