When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Orangutan Home Services, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Orangutan Home Services prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Tempe, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Tempe or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 602-906-0111 or schedule an appointment with Orangutan Home Services through our online scheduler.